Highway widening, a new link road between the A629 and Stainland Road encompassing a bridge and a new roundabout and a new traffic signal control at the bottom of Jubilee Road.
Details of the proposals can be found on the drawings in the supporting documents and in summary include:
- Building a new bridge and link road between the A629 and Stainland Road by spanning the Calder and Hebble Navigation.
- Widening the A629 to two continuous lanes in each direction from Elland Wood Bottom to the completed work at Salterhebble Hill.
- Introduction of traffic signal control at the junction of the A629 and Jubilee Road.
- Converting the existing mini roundabout on Stainland Road to traffic signal control.
- Creating a new landscaped area and surface water storage ponds adjacent to Stainland Road and new access points to canal towpath.
Economy and Employment
The project will improve access to Copley, Sowerby Bridge and Halifax, making sites on the route more attractive for business investment. The improvement in transport accessibility and better journey times will attract more workers to the area.
Once complete, the project will reduce vehicle journey times from Huddersfield to Halifax by up to 30%. Travel choices will be improved with more reliable and quicker bus journeys.
Tackling ‘rat running’
The new efficient A629 will reduce ‘rat running’ through adjacent communities such as Elland, West Vale, Siddal, Exley, Copley and Skircoat.
Travel options will benefit from more reliable and quicker local bus journeys and the promotion of active travel by improving cycle and waling infrastructure.
Following the public engagement that took place in autumn 2018, work took place to prepare the proposals to be submitted for planning permission, which was submitted in late 2018 and granted in May 2019.
We undertook a tender process during 2020 which led to the appointment of John Sisk & Son as contractors on the scheme. They will be supported by WSP to deliver the final designs.
Initial site clearance work was completed in April 2021. Sisk made great progress in clearing the vegetation along Stainland Road and Huddersfield Road. Key consideration was given to conservation throughout this process. This has allowed access for further technical surveys and inspections which have fed back into the design process.
The main construction work will start Summer 2021. Overall completion of the scheme is planned for early 2023.
Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO)
To see the A629 Phase 1 CPO Statement of Case and supporting documentation, please click here
This project was made possible through funding from:
- FileA629 Calder And Hebble Junction Engagement Analysis (PDF 440.07 KB)
- FileA629 Calder And Hebble Junction Project Plan (PDF 2.24 MB)
- FileA629 Calder And Hebble Junction Plan Sept 2020 (PDF 3.09 MB)
- FileWY+TF Project Engagement Approach (PDF 211.44 KB)
- FileMaking Of The Bridge Order (PDF 54.14 KB)
- FilePhase 1b Signed And Sealed Map 1 Of 2 (PDF 474.09 KB)
- FilePhase 1b Signed And Sealed Map 2 Of 2 (PDF 445.08 KB)
- FilePhase 1b Compulsory Purchase Order Notice (PDF 323.28 KB)
- File1. A629 Phase 1B Statement Of Case (PDF 771.84 KB)
- File2019 CPO A629 1b Statement Of Reasons (PDF 2.78 MB)
- File2019 CPO Press Notice (PDF 216.02 KB)
- File2019 CPO SEALED ORDER (PDF 24.86 MB)
- File2019 Map 1 DW50936 LAND CPO 020 R3 (PDF 1.33 MB)
- File2019 Map 2 DW50936 LAND CPO 021 R2 (PDF 1.25 MB)
- File2020 Supplemental CPO A629 1b Statement Of Reasons (PDF 3.86 MB)
- File2020 Supplemental CPO Press Notice (PDF 392.65 KB)
- File2020 Supplemental CPO Sealed Order (PDF 366.6 KB)
- File2020 Supplemental CPO Signed And Sealed Plans Map 1 (PDF 103.5 KB)
- File2020 Supplemental CPO Signed And Sealed Plans Map 2 (PDF 76.13 KB)
- FileBridge Order Plan DW50936 S01 02 Rev3 (PDF 770.81 KB)
- FileBridge Scheme Order Sealed (PDF 3.87 MB)
- FileDW50936 S04 01 RW GA_Rev2 (PDF 1.63 MB)
- FileDW50936 S04 02 RW GA_Rev2 (PDF 3 MB)