The aim of the proposals is to reduce delays for everyone who travels along the route, including those by bus; and make it easier and safer to travel on foot or by bike, particularly between Lee Mount or Illingworth and Halifax town centre.
These improvements to the environment for cyclists and access to employment, education, and leisure complement the parallel project: North Halifax Improved Streets for People.
Funding for this project has been secured from West Yorkshire plus Transport Fund as part of the Corridor Improvement Programme Phase 2 (CIP), which aims to improve transport and connectivity from Halifax town centre through to North Halifax.
The A629 Orange Street roundabout to Ogden project includes proposals for:
- A629 Wrigley Hill - Whitehill Road to become one way (westbound)
- New pedestrian crossing near junction with A629, Shay Lane and Nursery Lane
- Bus priority at signals along the A629
- Improvements to the cycle routes on Old Lane
- Upgrades to paths, signage and lighting leading to the Orange Street roundabout
The attached detailed drawings describe the proposed changes.
The project will improve access to businesses along the A629, towards and away from Halifax town centre
Bus journeys will be prioritised, encouraging more people to use the service. Cycling and pedestrian improvements will make active options for travel more attractive.
Upgrades to cycle and pedestrian routes will make journeys safer.
Connectivity and access
Communities either side of the A629 will be better connected to each other, and access to employment, education and leisure will be improved.
The investment in active travel infrastructure and public transport could reduce private vehicle usage, leading to reduced emissions and reduced congestion in line with the Combined Authority and Calderdale Council’s shared commitment to fighting climate change.
Analysis of the public consultation held in June and July is now available on Your Voice:
- A629N Orange Street Roundabout to Ogden, Calderdale CIP Executive Summary
- A629N Orange Street Roundabout to Ogden, Calderdale CIP Consultation Analysis Report
The public consultation closed 18 July 2021. Thank you for your contributions. All feedback is being analysed. The Full Outcome Report for the project will be published on the WYCA Your Voice page for the project.
These designs have been produced in preparation for the submission of an outline business case in September 2021, with the aim of developing the proposal fully in 2022/23 and delivering the project by March 2024.
At this stage we continue to define the scope of the project to identify the range, type and location of the interventions required to achieve the benefits. A public consultation runs from 14 June – 18 July 2021.
The Outline Business Case (OBC) was submitted to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority for appraisal on 1 October 2021. Following the consultation held in summer, a Consultation Analysis Report will also be published in the coming months.
This project was made possible through funding from:
- File1_Whole_A629N_Corridor_Plan (PDF 4.06 MB)
- FileA_Wrigley_Hill_Junction_v8 (PDF 2.79 MB)
- FileB_Shay_Lane_Junction_v6 (PDF 5.18 MB)
- FileD_Old_Lane_Valley_Floor_Cycle_Corridor (PDF 4.27 MB)
- FileE_Orange_Street_Roundabout_Pedestrian_Improvements (PDF 10.39 MB)