The Vision Masterplan has been prepared by Brighouse Town Board and will support a bid for funding from the Government’s 'Town Deal Initiative' to reshape and reinvigorate Brighouse town centre as a distinctive destination in Calderdale.
Brighouse Town Investment Plan - Tell us how you'd like to be kept updated.
Calderdale Council is developing a Town Investment Plan (TIP) for Brighouse to drive forward inclusive, sustainable and resilient economic growth and support recovery from COVID-19 and we'd like to know how you would like to be kept updated as the projects progress.
Brighouse, along with 100 towns across the country, has been invited to submit a bid for up to £25m as part of the Towns Fund set up by the Government in 2019. The Brighouse TIP has been developed from the Brighouse Masterplan, building on the vision and objectives set out and taking into consideration the consultation and priorities identified by stakeholders and the wider community.
A summary of the vision, objectives and projects proposed as part of the Brighouse TIP can be seen in the Brighouse Town Investment Plan document in the 'Supporting Documents' section on this page.
As we look to further develop these projects, we would like to hear from you on how you would like to be consulted in future. Please have a look at the Brighouse Town Investment Plan and If you would like to have your say on future consultations, please complete this short survey below,
This survey will be open until 24 January 2021.
Brighouse Vision Masterplan
The Vision Masterplan for Brighouse town centre will provide a framework for its future regeneration.
The Vision Masterplan builds on what makes Brighouse so special including its unique diverse events, its compact town centre, its good accessibility and links to neighbouring towns and cities and its range of independent shops. The plan will capture the strengths of Brighouse including the feeling of being safe, the feeling of belonging and its distinctive identify. The plan will also seek to address some key limitations of the existing town centre such as poor access to the river and canal watersides, a lack of public green space, problems with moving around, and other traffic and parking issues.
The objective is to create a place that offers a special experience of independent shops, events and facilities for both the community and visitors; a place that is welcoming and pleasant to spend time in; a place that is green and a place that is easy to get to by walking and cycling.
Funding is now being sought from the Government’s ‘Town Deals Initiative’ to deliver the Vision Masterplan. The key aims will be to:
- Support the vitality of the independent retail offer of the town and access to these and wider leisure facilities.
- Reduce traffic dominance in the town centre and improve the provision and accessibility of more sustainable transport modes
- Improve public spaces to make them more welcoming and to give recreational opportunities and encourage people to stay longer.
- Increase take up of residential living in the town centre
- Celebrate the distinct heritage of Brighouse's waterside and its historic centre.
- Support greater ‘presence’ of civic institutions.
- Significantly improve the green feel of the town centre.
- Address the poor quality and lack of character in some parts of the town centre.
- Entry points to the town centre: Remodeled streets and spaces at main entry points to form generous arrival and crossings for pedestrians and cyclists travelling between residential and employment neighbourhoods, and the town centre.
- Commercial Street: Improved quality and feel of the street to make it more people friendly and to support the strong retail offer.
- Brighouse Lanes: Enhanced public space, public art and better access from Market Street, Park Street, West Park Street, Park Row and Hall Street.
- Brighouse Canalside: Generous public space created around the Canalside and Bethel Street.
- Links to stations and car parks: High quality finishes to pedestrian and cycle links to Brighouse bus and rail stations, and to car parks.
- Arts, culture and interpretation: Provision of leisure and recreation offers that complement surrounding towns and cities.
The Vision Masterplan was commissioned by Brighouse Town Board in autumn 2019 to provide a framework for the future regeneration of the town centre and to apply for funding from the Government to support this improvement. In November 2019, an announcement was made by the Government that Brighouse had been identified as being one of the successful towns that would be included as part of its brand new ‘Town Deals’ funding initiative. The aims of the ‘Town Deals’ are to unleash the full economic potential of over 100 places to level up communities throughout the country, and to drive the sustainable regeneration of towns for long term economic and productive growth.
The Vision Masterplan has been shaped following in-depth engagement with a wide variety of stakeholders with valuable local knowledge. The findings from that engagement process helped develop the first draft of the plan. A further public consultation exercise was undertaken in June/early July 2020 and the feedback will be carefully studied and help to refine and shape the Vision Masterplan. This will then be used to prepare a detailed funding bid to the Government’s ‘Town Deal’ initiative which will be submitted in autumn 2020.